Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Dress Distress

So, we all know I already have my wedding dress. If you would like a long-winded account of how that came to be, you can visit here. It was $100 brand new. When I bought it, it didn't fit, but my "retail diet" suited me nicely and now (well, okay, in July) it fit! Here is what it looks like, since I never posted pics. Sorry about the quality; these are the only images I will allow in the house because I know Andrew wants a look at the dress!




It is diamond white, A-line, with lots of beading. Definitely worth more than $100, right? There's kind of a problem though. I didn't try on piles of pretty dresses. I didn't stand on a pedastal while a consultant froofed me and my mom cried and my tummy got fluttery because I found the one. I went with my mom and stood in a conference room with bad flourescent lighting and bought the dress I liked the most out of the ones that I had hopes of fitting into.

Let's call it what it is. I kind of settled. And now, I am less than pleased. What's a bride to do?

I called my BFF/fellow bride, who bought her dress to the same sale. We went to Ventura's Bridal under the ruse of both needing dresses (I have since watched 923497234987 episodes of Say Yes to the Dress and I know this was dishonest to my very nice consultant. I'm sorry!) and "played."



I tried to be good. I tried to try on fairly inexpensive dresses so if I fell in love, I might have a chance of getting one. But the whole time I kept thinking I have a perfectly good dress waiting for me. A pretty dress. But it didn't feel like me. I don't really like beads. I have sensitive skin and I am terrified that all the beading that touches the area underneath my arms will itch and burn (anyone have experience with this?) and make me miserable! Since I told the consultant I was a simple girl, she brought me this one to try on.








I loved the top. The ruching, sweetheart neckline, and otherwise simplicity were exactly what I was looking for. I tolerated the pick-ups (although the consultant told me they were "last season," so now I sort-of hate them. They are kind of annoying). I liked the low-ish price tag (in the $500s). I left the place thinking that I hated my dress. 

I don't think I love this dress as a whole enough to ditch the first dress for it. But it shows me that there ARE other dresses out there. Dresses that make me fluttery and feel like me. But they will cost more money. Is it worth it to expand my budget, or should I remember that it's only one day and wear the gorgeous dress I already have? Did you ever feel like your dress wasn't the one?

No comments:

Post a Comment