Monday, October 26, 2009

Give me my remote.

I have been doing a good amount of wedding stuff, but I haven't posted any of it because I can't get it just right enough to talk about! I will take some pics of something in the works as well as blog about my honeymoon destination ASAP. I am off Friday - Sunday in honor of turning the big 2-5, so lots of blogging is in order for this weekend!

Anyways, the point of this post- On Weddingbee, the bees are answering different questions to give readers a peek into their relationships, and one very obviously stuck out to me. It was about the TV that you and your significant other watch together as well as alone. If you know Andrew and I, you know we are TV freaks. We have three DVRs, HD, LCDs (yes, plural), and Netflix subscription... It's gross. Besides the obvious sloth that comes from consuming such large doses of TV, I really think it has helped us learn to compromise as well as given us something to talk about when we aren't glued to it. (Because, let's face it: neither of us are into trying to solve the world's problems over dinner).

There are a few shows we can agree on: The Office, 24, American Idol, Top Chef, almost anything on Food Network, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, Chuck, Entourage, Dexter, Rescue Me, Breaking Bad and Damages. We love them, watch them together, predict what will happen next, and name our furbaby after them (Bauer comes from Jack Bauer).

He is absolutely obsessed with Lost, but I don't get it. I watch Flash Forward with him, even though I think it's kind of boring, in an effort to compromise. It makes me feel like a better fiance.

He, in turn, watches Glee with me. I know it's not his thing, but it's a fun show! After he goes to bed or when I get time to myself, I watch all the good ABC shows (Grey's, Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty), trashy CW shows (Gossip Girl and 90210), everything on TLC, and Oprah. He hates all of them.

TV is cheap entertainment. There is always something on, and it provides great time for cuddling on the couch. Sometimes simply watching a football game with him instead of going in another room to do my own thing makes me feel like I am showing him how much I care, as cheesy as it sounds. Hopefully I can learn to apply these compromising skills to other, more important parts of our marriage in the future.

What do you watch with your significant other? What are the areas most important to compromise in?

7 comments: